Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Sightseeing yesterday

I'm trying a second time today to post...hope I don't lose it again...Yesterday we drove to the west side of the country...in one hour. We passed more construction, a small herd of camels, desert, more desert, then turned right at the Cuban Hospital, where thrroad splits. The reason  or  oing was to see, out in the middle of the desert, Richard Serra's majestic installation "east Meets West, West meets East." There is a short New Yorker from the April 14, 2014 issue that will telll you more. Google Richard Serra Doha desert. Then we went to the Museum of Islamic Art, housed inan I. M. Pei designed building. Stunning, both the building and the collection.   My favorite objects were the books and illustrated pages. Lots of gold leaf. After a rest and swim back at the hotel we were taken to the Souq, the location of the original and ongoing open "standing" market, a bit tourist oriented but containing many art galleries as well,  where we met Mohammed, an artist who has organized a major symposium for artists from around the world; he invited me to attend the one coming up in November, most expenses paid. I now have his business card for any interested artist to look into participating. I also have a really nice catalog from the one that took place earlier this year. We had a wonderful meal at an Iranian restaurant where I learned how to properly
pronounce the word taboulleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment